Under the direction of the Department Production Supervisor and in cooperation with the Team Leader, weld metal components safely with welding equipment to correctly fit and join, fabricate, and/or repair heavy and large mechanical products per specifications and in accordance with the production schedule, making independent decisions with minimal direct supervision given appropriate instructions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform welding duties using wire welding GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding).
- Weld steel components with appropriately set/adjusted welding equipment in accordance with the material(s) for the process, procedures, layouts, blueprints, diagrams, work orders, work instructions, oral instructions, and all quality requirements. This involves reading, understanding, and following a tape measure, work order specifications, blueprints, diagrams, work instructions, oral instructions, and specified procedures.
- Individual welds range from simple tack welds to complex welds, performed in varying positions and spaces. Welding work involves set-up and laying out work using templates and fixtures to fabricate, modify, or repair parts and/or products.
- Operate or use various hand, power, and air tools including welding gun, scrapers, grinders (portable & bench), wrenches, hammer, cutting torches, drills, punches, a tape measure, and Air Arc. Also operate or use forklifts, and overhead hoists and cranes with associated rigging equipment.
- Keep welding equipment and tools operational by completing preventive maintenance requirements; follow manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshoot malfunctions; call for repairs; and complete daily check sheets.
- Use a computer mouse to access and open/close computer documents.
- Acquire Company welding certification per D1.1 requirements administered by the KPI Quality Assurance Dept., appropriate for assigned welding projects. AWS 1G qualification skills are the minimum requirement for all KPI Welder positions.
- Inspect, clean, and improve welds as necessary to meet product and quality specifications. Perform work to the utmost of one self’s ability at all times. Continuously strive to improve one self’s work-related skills, efficiency, and the quality of output.
- Fulfill work requirements according to KPI quality standards determined for the assigned work tasks, including incoming and outgoing quality checks, and other quality inspections as required. Document actions by completing production and quality forms.
- Participate in process and/or product development and/or improvement assignments, programs, teams, and focus groups.
- Maintain a safe, organized, and clean working environment following 6S guidelines.
- Conserve Company resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish work tasks.
- Use Company property with care and respect, help maintain it in good working condition, and retain it on Company premises.
- Perform or assist in other assigned duties as qualified and trained.
- Interact with fellow employees, customers, and management in a cooperative, supportive, and courteous manner; comply with Company policies, procedures, rules, and regulations; and uphold KPI Core Values.
This description is intended as a guide only. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of the incumbent’s supervisor.
Essential Functions of the Job (with or without reasonable accommodation)
Education and Experience
- Perform work standing on concrete a minimum of 8 hours and up to 12 hours per day, and a minimum of 3 days up to 7 days per week.
- Willingness to train/work during hours outside of regularly-scheduled core shift.
- Flexibility to work additional hours beyond and/or consecutively with core work schedule when needed.
- Willingness to cross-train and perform the work of any job tasks or positions within the Company as assigned, outside of or in addition to primarily-assigned position, work area, and/or department.
- Willingness to assist with training and mentoring co-workers.
- Regular and reliable attendance, appearing on time for each scheduled work day and working all the scheduled work hours.
- Perform work safely in accordance with all Company safety policies, procedures, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
- Perform work in various physical positions including standing, kneeling, squatting, bending, and reaching (temporary variances may be accommodated based on employee’s primary assignment).
- Perform work in heavy industrial setting with exposure to heat, cold, and humidity, industrial odors, fumes, gasses, chemicals, oil, grease, smoke, dust, loud noise (hearing protection provided and required), and vibration. Work involves climbing ladders and stairs, movement of heavy objects, using pneumatic tools, working with moving machinery and equipment, working near moving mechanical parts, working in cramped quarters, and working above floor level which could include high, precarious places. There is risk of electrical shock associated with this job.
- Ability to wear the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for this position, including hearing protection, safety glasses, safety boots with metatarsal guards, face shield, welding helmet, welding gloves, welding sleeves/jacket (leather or cloth), and welding apron/chaps. A respirator may also be required. Fall protection may also be required.
- Ability to operate or use a variety of hand, power, and air tools and devices.
- Ability to use and read a tape measure correctly. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to understand welding symbols and diagrams, and read blueprints and/or other printed instructional materials for guidance and specifications in order to assemble and/or weld products or parts in a correct and efficient manner.
- Ability to apply common sense.
- Must complete and maintain forklift operation certification and be able to safely operate a forklift when necessary.
- Must pass applicant weld test to be considered for this position.
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screening, physical, and background check, and random drug and/or alcohol screenings throughout employment.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
- Welding training and/or experience required.
- Relevant trade school or college course work desired.
- Ability to correctly use and read a tape measure, and read/understand job-related blueprints, required.
- Heavy equipment manufacturing experience desired.
- Computer experience desired, particularly the ability to use a mouse, and locate and open/close files.
- Must be dependable, dedicated to getting the job done correctly, and use time wisely.
- Adept at problem-solving. Adaptable to new situations and challenges. Open to changes and new ideas.
- Ability to satisfactorily work alone with reasonable instructions, training, and supervision, and ability to work with others respectfully and professionally in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate, express needs, and ask questions.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed and written and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to handle the stress that accompanies production standards and deadlines.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and make subsequent adjustments, and willingness to rework incorrect tasks completed by oneself or others.