Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience. Hy-Vee food safety training. Over six months up to one year of similar or related work experience.
- Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must be able to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Must have the ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Have the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is exposed daily to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and electrical shock. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Power ban saw, Grinder, Tenderizer, Slicker, Bone duster (where applicable), Knives, Tumblers, Automatic patty machine (where applicable), Automatic stuffier, Wrapping system, Rotisserie, Pallet jack, Familiar with software.
May have access to confidential information such as cutting tests, tonnage sheets, monthly reports, and projection sheets.
Has daily contact with customers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public.
The assistant meat specialist is a fully skilled job that cuts and merchandises all fresh meat commodities.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Meat Manager, Asst. Meat Manager, Meat Specialist
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Cleans and sanitizes shop and takes out garbage.
8. Writes and starts cutting list.
9. Cuts “special cuts” at the request of the customer.
10. Cuts, trims, tenderizes, trays, wraps, weighs, labels, and puts products in case or in back cooler.
11. Grinds hamburger.
12. Fills end cases.
13. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
14. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
15. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Pulls out-of-dates and brown product, reworks, or throws away.
2. Orders product from assigned vendors as needed.
3. Assists with inventory.
4. Assists on front end as needed.
5. Assists in seafood/service meat and delicatessen departments as needed.
6. Checks in new product from vendors and puts invoices in box.
7. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
8. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.