S.D. Manufacturing Week
Manufacturing – It Touches Everyone!
For 2016, Oct. 3 through Oct. 7, 2016 has been proclaimed S.D. Manufacturing Week culminating with National Manufacturers Day on October 7th.
The Governor’s Office of Economic Development works diligently on events across the state to help raise awareness of what this industry does for the state and is encouraging communities to join in. This is a great opportunity for Yankton to showcase our manufacturing sector and the impact it has on not only the local economy but statewide as well.
- 18.4% of our community’s workforce
- 1 of the top 4 major industries in Yankton
- Yankton has 2.5 times the national average of manufacturers
- 26 businesses are classified as manufacturers
- Yankton manufacturers had over $20,000,000 in taxable sales in 2013
- Yankton manufacturers generated $397,843 in local revenue to the city for sales/use tax in 2012
- Manufacturing is 10% of the state’s workforce with 41,175 jobs which is the 5th highest business group in total of jobs in South Dakota
- Manufacturing’s average wage is $42,176 which is the 5th highest business group in average annual wage in South Dakota
- Manufacturing’s annual payroll is $1.7 billion which is the 4th highest business group in South Dakota
To help promote public awareness of Manufacturing Week, the Yankton Area Chamber of Commerce along with RTEC (Regional Technical Education Center), S.D. Department of Labor and Regulation and several manufacturers have created a committee that will plan and coordinate events for the week each year.