Taxes, Permits and Licenses

The city, school district and county governments are supported by property taxes. Residents pay yearly property taxes, semi-annually, to the County Treasurer on May 1 and Nov. 1.


Income and Personal Property Taxes
The State of South Dakota does not have a personal income tax or personal property tax.


Motor Vehicle License
If you own and/or operate a motor vehicle in South Dakota, you must obtain a South Dakota motor vehicle license within 90 days of relocating to the state. Renewals are established based on the first letter of your last name.
Yankton County Treasurer’s Office
321 W. 3rd St. ~ Yankton County Government Center
(605) 260-4400 Ext. 7


Sales Tax
For most of your retail and service purchases, you will pay both a state and city sales tax. The State of South Dakota imposes a four-cent sales tax with some exemptions for specific classes of purchases. The City of Yankton has a two-cent sales tax on all items covered by the state sales tax. The City of Yankton also has an additional one percent tax on hotel rooms, liquor purchases, restaurant meals and entertainment tickets.


South Dakota Drivers License
Individuals must obtain a South Dakota Driver’s license to operate motor vehicles within the state. A license must be obtained within 90 days of relocation to the state.
3113 Spruce St. ~ Kanner Building
(800) 952-3696


Voter Registration
Yankton County residents can register to vote at the Yankton County Auditor’s Office. Registration must be done 15 days prior to an election. Elections for federal, state and county offices are held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Elections for city offices are held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in April. Elections for the school board are held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June.
(605) 260-4400


  • (800) 888-1460
  • (605) 665-3636
  • 803 E. 4th St.
  • Yankton, SD
  • 57078