The Channel Development Manager (CDM) position represents the Kolberg-Pioneer, Inc., Johnson Crushers International, Inc. and Astec Mobile Screens, Inc. subsidiaries (Company) that manages the development of market channels that provide distribution of Company products and services. This position will be responsible for all elements of managing and developing the company’s market channels to meet its business objectives. The CDM will work with all management team members that interact with market channels to execute the necessary strategic and tactical plans to strengthen market channels. This position is accountable for understanding distribution requirements from all operating areas and satisfying those requirements over the short/long term in a professional manner.
Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills are required. A strong work ethic and personal discipline are necessary for success in this position. Excellent time management skills are required in order to effectively cover a multi-channel distribution network.
Position will require a thorough knowledge of Company products, services and capabilities, along with general knowledge of sister company products and services. Also, must be well versed on competitive distribution products, services and strategies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Main responsibility is to improve channel performance of Company product and services in defined territories.
- Defined target channels for this CDM role will be primarily towards traditional distribution channels that focus on aggregate, mining, recycling, construction, energy, industrial & other material processing markets, i.e. crushed stone, sand & gravel, RAP, RCA, mineral processing, etc.
- Locates or proposes potential market channels by contacting potential dealers, agents, OEMs, as well as customers; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Develop sustainable distribution channels to maximize their benefits, to include financial stability and resources required to represent Company product and services.
- Develop a distribution channel that offers more consistent customer support and improved sales and margins, and that distributors can be fairly rewarded for their efforts.
- Develop contingency plans and maintain market knowledge to help guide Company through fluctuations in our industry and marketplace.
- Must be able to effectively negotiate with distributor principles in all areas of Company business as necessary.
- Screens potential business relationships by reviewing with applicable management and analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options.
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with Company strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating distribution of products and services needs and goals.
- Present business development training and mentoring to distributors and their personnel in coordination with applicable Company management.
- Assists with closing new business ventures by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations.
- Strategically position the Company to be the preferred supplier of the products and services Company provides to market, to include successful expansion and development of multi-channel distribution for current and/or new products and services offered by Company.
- Prepare market channel plan for review with Vice President, Sales & Marketing and applicable management on annual basis for upcoming year before last quarter of current year. This will be reviewed quarterly for update and tracking purposes with Vice President, Sales & Marketing. The market channel plan will cover market potential, distribution of product and services, sales and product support of Company, key prospects and customers, distribution channels and individual territory plans, along with written goals, strategies and metrics for the year.
- Assist with development and successful execution of Company programs marketed to distribution channels for the purpose of improving sales and support of Company products and services.
- Promotion of Company technology, products, quality and services. This requires networking with sister companies, customers and all avenues of reaching targeted prospects, including cold calling.
- Directly assist Company management on maintaining current files on competitive distributors that shall cover but not be limited to products, selling prices, product support, programs, strength and weaknesses, opportunities and threats, market strategy and activity.
- Must be or have the ability to become recognized as a channel expert in our field within a reasonable period of time to handle all duties of position.
- Must become a “consultant” to market channels, learning their business and working to fill their needs so they can become more successful. Responsible for quantifying economic benefits of Company product and services, and showing all areas of value to market channel to support ongoing development of their business activities.
- Protects the image of the Company by ensuring distributor, agents, OEMs, etc. provide the facilities and service that our Company’s customers are entitled to and expect.
- Leads regular reviews and updates of the distributor standards, including Company manuals for distributors and operational departments, monitors actual distributor situations; and conducts audits & meetings as required.
- Works cross-departmentally to manage and regularly review effectiveness of market channels, and make necessary recommendations to Vice-President, Sales & Marketing in regards to business strategies and corrective action plans designed to address distributor standards problems and opportunities.
- Ensures corrective action plans are properly communicated and implemented to distributors, as well as appropriate Company management and personnel as required.
- Establishes a set of general and specific procedures for the appointment, expansion, relocation or dissolution of market channels.
- Upon approval of distributor, agents, OEM, etc. applicants, will assist the Vice President, Sales & Marketing in arranging the preparation and signing of letters of intent, distributor agreements and other associated contractual documents. Develop and implements with applicable Company management a plan of introduction, orientation and regular follow-up with newly-signed distributors and their staff.
- Assists in the development, implementation and administration of programs and standards designed to enhance the image of the distributor network. This includes the coordination and administration with appropriate Company management of the distributor facility design activities, as well as activities relating to distributor facility Company identity or branding standards.
- Must directly assist in maintaining accurate and current files on all distributor accounts and all programs as required.
- Required to keep proper Company management informed on market channel activity.
- All relevant business and/or customer activity related to Company product and services, i.e. prospects, sales opportunities, product support, customer management, etc. should be entered into Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) system in proper format, unless otherwise instructed by the Vice President, Sales & Marketing.
- Market Channel Planning Report(s) are required before last quarter each year. These reports shall include all regional market channel initiatives, as required for the upcoming year. These are to be sent to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing by email in proper format.
- New Contact Reporting is to be updated into CRM system on a timely basis.
- Expected to travel accordingly to fulfill job requirements successfully. Up to 4 days per week will be necessary.
- Daily contact with Company office is required.
- Timely follow up is expected on all issues both internally and externally. Return all forms of communication the same day if at possible. Leave clear and direct messages in follow up.
- Must be proficient in presenting ideas and have proven ability to negotiate deals.
- Participate in equipment, parts, service, marketing and other Company meetings & training seminars as required.
- Network with other Company and Astec Industries’ Sales Personnel as required.
- Required to keep certain levels of Company and Astec Industries, Inc. information on strategies, planning and other reporting confidential as required.
- Assist in Company business forecasting, planning and budgeting as required.
- Maintain expenses within budget as set forth by Vice President, Sales & Marketing.
- Must assist in collection of payables as required.
- Arrange market channel and/or customer visits to Company facility, as required.
- Make suggestions for changes to distribution and marketing of equipment, new products and services, etc. to applicable Company management.
- Coordinates and interfaces with Company’ service when required for all territory customers. Liaison with other departments as required.
- Keeps customers informed about factory training and parts specials available.
- Support the Sales & Marketing Department by providing a professional image and high level of support. Maintain a professional dress code and proper etiquette at all times with customers and fellow associates. The Vice President, Sales & Marketing can answer any questions in this area.
- Must be able to obtain a passport if necessary.
- Must have financial means to travel when required. Approved expenses will be reimbursed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in your resident jurisdiction and an acceptable driving history, and obey all laws at all times. Do not perform tasks that distract you while driving. Comply with state/provincial and local laws regarding mobile phone usage. The Company prohibits employee use of mobile phones or similar devices, with the exception of hands-free and/or Bluetooth-enabled devices, for Company-related purposes while driving.
- Practice company’s Core Values, Purpose, Future Vision, Principal Goals and Core Strategies every day.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university or equivalent education. Preference on business, operations, finance or marketing.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in management, sales, marketing, operations and/or product support of capital equipment via distributor network. Strong preference on work experience within a distributor network.
- Must possess the ability to concurrently handle multiple tasks in a high paced environment, manage a geographical territory, set strategic objectives and meet specific deadlines.
- Must be skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Must be able to save and organize files on computer in folders for each of retrieval, as well as send any Word or Excel files to the Company and/or management for reporting and analysis.
- Must be able to work satisfactorily as a team member.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations required.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence required.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from distributors, customers, groups of managers, associates, clients and the general public required.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or scheduled form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop and kneel, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. This position is frequently
required to operate an automobile and travel by airplane, as well as visit aggregate, mining, recycling, industrial and construction processing sites for inspection, review, application and sale of Company products. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work related travel conditions and hazards, including automobile and airline travel. Use of a telephone is extensive and use of a computer is frequent. The employee is regularly exposed to customer work sites which may include moving mechanical parts and equipment, heights, fumes or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. The noise level at a customer work site can be very loud.
Note: This job description is intended to be a general guideline of areas of responsibility. There will be incidental tasks not listed on a job description that arise at various times. These tasks are assigned to help out the department and Company and, as a member of the Company; each employee is expected to help in these areas.