Assist the EH&S Manager in developing, planning, and implementing environmental, health, and safety programs for the Company. Help ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal environmental, health, and safety regulations. Develop illness and injury prevention, building safety, and chemical safety policies and procedures. Conduct safety training and facility inspections to ensure regulatory compliance. Maintain EH&S records.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure Company EH&S policy is properly administered and adhered to.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and updating Company’s safety and environmental policy and procedure manuals.
- Provide initial and refresher training for employees on company policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to employee safety, health, and protection from hazards.
- Prepare and maintain necessary records according to established federal, state, and local safety and environmental guidelines.
- Assist in identifying chemical hazards and hazardous workplace conditions. Maintain a current inventory and Material Safety Data Sheet for all chemical hazards on the property. Take corrective action to eliminate, contain, or minimize the hazards, or coordinate the removal of physical, biological, and chemical hazards.
- Involved in the design and development of facilities, work areas, and work procedures, and make environmental, health, and safety recommendations accordingly.
- Review injury and near-miss reports. Ensure they are properly documented and assist with corrective measures.
- Maintain employees’ safety & environmental training records. Ensure compliance with OSHA requirements.
- Prepare and distribute various reports and forms including monthly department inspection reports, etc. Review inspection reports and take corrective action on identified safety or environmental hazards.
- Participate in the Safety Committee and Safety Steering Committee.
- Provide assistance or perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Essential FunctionsTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience: High school diploma required. Four-year college degree with a minimum of five years experience in a managerial or technical position in a manufacturing environment with knowledge and proficiency in EH&S programs preferred, or a combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Personal Characteristics: Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of medical information. Ability to work well with others, exercise sound judgment and solve problems, work independently and effectively manage workload, and work well under pressure. This employee must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and be resourceful, well-organized, meticulous, and accurate.
- Skills: Ability to operate general office equipment including telephone, computer, calculator, photocopier, and fax machine. Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and database software, Internet software, and E-mail. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office products required.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, this employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the environment varies from low to moderate. All duties must be performed in compliance with Company policies relating to safety.
- Physical Demands: This employee is regularly required to use hands to finger and handle items. This employee is frequently required to sit. This employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. This employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
This description is intended as a guide only. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of the incumbent’s supervisor.